Drug Lab 118 announces the launch of its campaign against Drink Spiking:
A Message From Colin Lyon, CEO and Co-Founder
The #NotInMyDrink movement has been created in response to the rise of Drink Spiking across society. The increasing use of drugs to incapacitate people for the purpose of sexual assault and other crimes, Drink Spiking, is a criminal offense and we believe that it is a genuine and growing problem.
The #NotInMyDrink campaign is an initiative that aims to create an ongoing communications platform that will raise awareness, change behaviour and work towards reducing the crime of Drink Spiking.
Together with our international partners, and evolving network of supporters – including universities, colleges, student unions, clubs, charities and people everywhere who want to socialise, yet remain safe – this is our mission:
To lead the effort to diminish the act of Drink Spiking and to provide tools and raise awareness in order to minimise the human impact of this crime. We want to ensure that wherever we are, and whomever we are with, we will be alert, be watchful and be a friend to anyone we feel might need help. No one left alone.
#NotInMyDrink is a call to action to people of all ages and all genders. We want people to feel free to go out to bars, clubs and parties and enjoy life. It’s about having fun and socialising, but remaining safe and empowered at the same time.
At #NotInMyDrink, we aim to:
- Become the global ‘thought leaders’ and the global conscience on the subject of Drink Spiking.
- Connect with groups and people who may be at risk or who have been affected by Drink Spiking.
- Change the behaviour of perpetrators who have become desensitized to the crime of drink spiking – whether with alcohol or other drugs. It is a cowardly, criminal act. Only we have the right to determine what we consume. My body. My rules.
- Empower individuals with knowledge and tools so that they are educated and aware of the dangers of Drink Spiking when going out.
- We want people to commit be being a caring friend to anyone else – not a passive bystander. We want people to make the promise never to go home wondering what happened to someone who may have been in need of assistance – someone that might, one day, be them. No one left alone.
- Create a following and a network of influencers, interested parties who wish to be involved, and organisations that are already established and working to support victims of these types of crime. We want to pool our resources and help diminish Drink Spiking and its impact on individual health and rights.
- Establish the Drink Detective as an everyday, social essential. It should be carried by everyone and be used to eradicate the uncertainty and doubt that a drink may have been spiked or not. The Drink Detective is the most effective Drink Spiking detection test available anywhere in the world. Using it removes uncertainty and can help prevent further crimes.
The #NotInMyDrink mantra and our message to everyone:
WE ARE ALL ME. DIFFERENT BUT THE SAME.
I AM A WOMAN, NOT A CONQUEST.
A PERSON, NOT A PRIZE.
I AM A MAN, NOT A COWARD.
A SISTER TO EVERYONE.
A BROTHER TO ANYONE.
A FRIEND YOU MAY NOT KNOW.
WE ARE NOT ALONE. CAREFUL AND CARING.
WATCHED AND WATCHING.
I AM TOGETHER AND THIS IS ME.
MY BODY. MY RULES.
Join the #NotInMyDrink movement. Spread the word through our social media networks and find out more by visiting us at www.notinmydrink.com
NOT IN MY DRINK.